Checking Out Library Materials
Checking Out, Renewing and Returning
Checking Out MaterialsLibrary materials other than reference may be checked out for two weeks. Items will automatically renew up to three times if there are no holds or requests for those items.
Checkout and Request Limits Per Library Card
- 200 items (including books, DVDs, CD or MP3 audiobooks)
- Book requests - 100
- DVD requests - 20
- CD or MP3 audiobook requests - 15
- The Library offers automatic renewal of items you’ve checked out. These will be renewed automatically (up to a maximum of three times) unless there’s a hold request on the item from another patron or your account has accrued over $10 in fines.
- You can check the library catalog website for the renewal status of your checked-out items. You'll need your library card number and password. More information can be found on the Renew Library Items page.
Materials can be returned inside either McKinney Public Library branch during open hours:
- Inside the Roy & Helen Hall Library: to the right of the circulation desk near the stairs
- Inside the John & Judy Gay Library: to the left of the circulation desk near the library entrance
You can also return materials at four book drop locations:
- Outside the Roy & Helen Hall Library: on Kentucky Street (southbound, one way) on the west side of the building
- Outside the John & Judy Gay Library: adjacent to the building on the east side of the building
- Remote Site 1: Westgate Shopping Center - U.S. 75 & Virginia St.
- Remote Site 2: Legacy Bank - Hardin and Eldorado Pkwy.
Late FeesIf materials are returned late, a late fee of 25 cents per item per day will be assessed to the patron’s library card. Late fees may be paid at the circulation desk in the lobby of either library location. You may pay by cash, check, or credit card.
Locations, maps and hours