The Dulaneys

Dr. Joseph E. Dulaney left his plantation, “Medical Grove,” in Blountville, Tennessee and emigrated to Collin County, Texas at the close of the Civil War. He was the third generation of Dulaney physicians in Tennessee, and after coming to Collin County he entered practice with Dr. B. S. Shelburne at old Lebanon on Preston Trail.


On November 27, 1869, Dr. Dulaney married Lucy Ann Field, daughter of Jesse and Martha Ann Oglesby Field, who lived nine miles west of McKinney. In 1870 he bought property on Chestnut Street in McKinney and built a home that is now a part of Chestnut Square. Upon the death of his father, Dr. Dulaney moved his family back to Bristol, Tennessee to help settle his father’s affairs. There he was elected president of the Bristol Academy of Medicine. His only son, Joseph Field Dulaney, was born in Bristol on October 21, 1876.


After the death of Dr. Dulaney, Mrs. Lucy Dulaney moved her family back to her home on Chestnut Street, where she raised her three children, Annie, Corrie, and Joseph. 

Joseph Dulaney was educated in pharmacy in Chicago and Philadelphia, however, he did not practice his profession for long. During the great oil exploration of 1905-1910, oil was discovered on land his father once owned in Jack and Young counties, and Joseph Dulaney still held the mineral rights to all the land. He gave up his other interests to devote himself to his properties and investments. 


In 1966 Joseph was one of the largest stockholders in the First National Bank of Dallas. In 1967 he donated land for a new library facility in honor of his mother, Lucy Field Dulaney, along with a portrait of her likeness. The portrait of Lucy still hangs on the wall of Roy and Helen Hall's Dulaney room to this day. On his 90th birthday the Trust Department of the bank honored him with a birthday dinner. During his lifetime he was a great philanthropist, giving his town many lasting gifts, one of which was land for a public library. He died May 7, 1968.