Elm Street Project
The City of McKinney Engineering Department reviewed and approved development plans for the expansion of Encore Wire’s headquarters. Updates on this project will be posted to this page. Check back often for details.
The expansion includes a 732,296 square foot warehouse on the northwest corner of Airport Drive and Elm Street. The following roadway improvements are planned as part of this project:
- Realign Elm Street to the north and abandon the existing connection to Airport Drive for the expansion of Encore Wire’s campus.
- Connect Gerrish Street and Bumpas Street to the new Elm Street alignment to improve access on the east side of the neighborhood.
City staff believes these roadway improvements will allow the following positive impacts to occur:
- Improve response time for emergency responders by providing a more direct access to the neighborhood.
- Improve traffic circulation for the neighborhood by providing additional connections along Elm Street.
Project Schedule & Funding
The estimated construction cost is tentatively $7.6 million. All roadway improvements for Elm Street, Gerrish Street, and Bumpas Street, are being funded by Encore Wire. Construction is expected to begin in the next several months.
The proposed realignment of Elm Street and the connections to Gerrish Street and Bumpas Street were presented to the City Council during the June 2, 2020 City Council work session.
- Watch the recording of the Council Work Session 06-02-2020 presentation
- Presentation to Council Work Session - PDF
Encore Wire requested the abandonment of the portion of Elm Street that separates property they own north of Elm Street and their existing campus. The formal request was presented to the City Council during their regular meeting on June 2, 2020. Council voted to approve the abandonment request based on the condition that the new section of Elm Street is completed before the abandonment occurs.
- Watch the recording of the 06-02-2020 Public Hearing
- Ordinance No. 2020-06-041 - PDF
- Encore Wire Site Plan
Contact Pam Alummoottil, P.E., PTOE by email or call 972-547-3492.