Building Inspections

Citizen Self-Service Portal (CSS)

Login to the Citizen Self Service (CSS) portal to create an account, submit and track permits, and pay online.

Find out more information on our CSS page.

Image is a link

Citizen Self Service Portal

COVID-19 Operational Changes

In an effort to reduce the transmission of COVID-19, the City of McKinney has adopted the following measures to protect our customers and employees.

All visitors ages 10 years and older must wear a face covering when visiting indoor facilities.

For more information, visit the COVID-19 page.

Development Services Building is Open to the Public.

Customers are encouraged to interact with us remotely.

Social Distancing.

  • No more than 10 people are allowed in a public use area at any one time.
  • Distance yourself at least 6 feet away from other individuals and stay behind the blue lines.
  • You will be asked to call, submit online or return at another time if the maximum occupancy is reached or if you exhibit symptoms of being physically ill.

Building Inspections - Effective April 2, City of McKinney Inspectors will not enter existing homes to conduct inspections. 

  • When we receive an inspection request for an existing home we will contact the homeowner and provide the option to defer inspection to a later date.
  • If the homeowner elects to have an inspection the contractor is required to be on site and use Face Time to conduct the inspection while the Inspector remains outside.
  • Questions? Contact our office at 972‐547‐7400.

All inspections must be scheduled through Citizen Self Service. View the “How to Schedule an Inspection Using CSS” video at

Current Adopted Codes

How Do I Request a Building Inspection?

The IVR phone number for calling in building inspections has not changed. The IVR phone number will remain 972-547-7460.

  • Permits that were issued prior to October 16, 2017 have a new phone access code that matches with the existing permit in the new system. A list of new phone access codes is now available at the link above. Have your existing permit number available and visit this page to get your new phone access codes. To search the linked document, press Ctrl F (PC) or Command F (Mac) and type in your permit number to quickly locate your permit access codes. 
  • Refer to the list of new inspection codes when using the IVR phone system to call in your inspections.
  • Once you are registered in CSS, and are linked to any permits that were pulled before October 16, 2017, you also have the ability to call in inspections through your CSS account and are no longer limited to only using the IVR system.
  • Please note that the only department that uses the IVR phone system or CSS for requesting inspections is our Building Inspections Department. To request Engineering, Planning, Fire, Health or Parks Department inspections, please call those departments directly as in the past.