• As of September 1, 2023, Planning and Landscaping inspections can be scheduled through the online Citizen Self Service (CSS) portal.
  • Beginning October 1, 2023, resubmittal fees will be assessed with the 5th resubmittal of a plan and for every subsequent submittal after that. Each fee issued will be half of the original application fee. All fees must be paid prior to receiving approval of the plan.
  • The City of McKinney is conducting a historic resources survey to update previous surveys and evaluate previously undocumented historic resources. A critical component of the survey process is engagement with the community. For more information on the survey and how to share information, visit Historic McKinney Survey.

General Information

Jump to Topic

2024 Development Guide

(Information about the Planning Department's Most Common Processes)


Parkland Dedication Information

Effective October 1, 2022, the amended "Conveyance of Land for Recreational Areas and Facilities" of the Subdivision Ordinance will go into effect. If you have questions or concerns, please contact the Parks Department.


Interactive Planning Maps

Planning Resources | Search for geographically based information, turn on and off layers of information.

Where can I build that? - Currently Offline. Please check back for updates. | Get a snapshot of where specific land uses are allowed based on current zoning district designation.

Certificate of Appropriateness (COA) | A COA is typically required prior to exterior work and the issuance of a permit on properties within the Historic Overlay District. Use the interactive map to verify that your property lies within the Historic Overlay District and see properties that have received a COA since 2022. To determine if a COA is required for your project, visit the Historic Resource page to learn more COAs or [email protected].


Public Notification and Protest Opportunities


Planning Cases and Notices

  • Did you receive a Property Owner Notification in the mail or see a Posted Notification Sign on a property? This may be because the applicant of the subject property has submitted an application for a proposed development that requires consideration and approval by the Planning and Zoning Commission and/or City Council. Cases that could be taken to a meeting are Zonings/Rezonings, Specific Use Permits, Site Plans, Plats, Concept Plans, and General Development Plans.
  • Information regarding newly submitted cases can be accessed through the Planning Case Master List. You can also keep track of Planning cases around the City with the Planning Resources Map.
  • Information regarding cases being considered by the Planning and Zoning Commission and/or City Council can be found on the respective meeting agendas.
  • If you have any questions or comments regarding a case, you can contact us at 972-547-2000 or send us an email.