Fire Marshal's Office
COVID-19 Operation Changes
In an effort to reduce the transmission of COVID-19, the City of McKinney has adopted the following measures to protect our customers and employees.
All visitors ages 10 years and older must wear a face covering when visiting indoor facilities.
The FMO walk-up window is open.
- The window has a plexiglass shield to protect against the transmission of COVID-19.
- We strongly encourage submittals and payments online.
- Staff will continue to have virtual meetings with developers and contractors whenever possible.
How to conduct business online with the FMO:
ALARM COMPANIES - Effective June 22, 2020
All new plan submittals must go through the Customer Self-Service Portal.
ALL OTHER TRADES
Submit electronic plan packages to FirePlans@McKinneyTexas.org
Plan submittal packages must include the following:
- Construction Permit application
- Bid sheets for project valuation verification (sprinkler and FARS only)
- Plans in PDF format
- All specifications and calculations related to the submittal
- Any other pertinent documentation
Your submittal will be checked for accuracy within 24 hours (not including weekends). A permit technician will contact you via the email address from which the plans were submitted if any additional information is needed or as it is placed in the queue for review.
Once the plans are reviewed you will be contacted either by the plans examiner if the plans need more information for approval; or by the permit technician who will calculate the application and permit fees with instructions on how to pay via phone.
Once payment is complete, the permit tech will email the approved plans and permit. As normally required, plans and permits must be kept on-site and failure to comply will result in a failed inspection and ‘working without a permit’ fee of 2 times the permit fee.
ALARM COMPANIES: For projects submitted after June 21, 2020
All inspection requests must go through the Customer Self-Service (CSS) Portal. Projects submitted prior to this date must follow the process under "all other trades" below.
ALL OTHER TRADES may request an inspection through the following means:
- Email: FMO@McKinneyTexas.org
- Call: 972-547-2850
The request must be made by the company the permit is issued to.
Inspection requested by emails must include the following:
- Fire permit number(s) [COM permit if a CO inspection]
- Project name and address (including suite number)
- Inspection type
- Statement of passed pre-test
- Phone number to confirm schedule date and time
Once the request has been received, the permit technician will call the number provided and finalize a date and time for your inspection.
Please note that all applicable inspection fees will be assessed due to failed inspections, cancellations, no-shows, no permit on-site, etc.
In accordance with State law, and to ensure the continued functionality of required fire protection systems, all red and yellow tagged system notices shall be submitted via email to FMO@McKinneyTexas.org.