Residential Fence Permits*
To determine if you need a residential fence permit, answer the following questions:
- Is there an existing fence?
- If no, you will need a permit. See the fence permitting process below for necessary drawings and information.
- If yes, read the next paragraph and answer the questions below.
If you answer "yes" to any of the questions below, you will need a fence permit.
- Will the height be changed? Will the location be changed?
- If you answered yes to either of the above questions, your project requires a permit.
- If you answered no to both questions, the project is considered to be a repair and does not require a permit.
Fence Permitting Process
Items needed for a fence permit:
- Residential Permit Application
- Site Plan (a survey or a drawing by hand is acceptable)
The site plan must show:
- Property lines
- Location of fence
- Height of fence
- Fence material (e.g., wood, wrought iron, etc.)
- Fence builder (homeowner or contractor name)
- The maximum height for fences in the rear yard is 8'6".
- The maximum height for fences in the front yard is 48", and the fence must be at least 50% open.
- Fences enclosing a pool / spa are subject to pool barrier requirements and require inspection.
- You may need to contact your homeowner's association for additional requirements from deed restrictions or covenants.
- To ensure safety, please be sure to call 1-800-DIG-TESS (1-800-344-8377) before you dig, so the utility companies can mark underground electrical lines, gas lines, etc.
*Not applicable in the ETJ, unless fence is over 8' in height
Commercial Fence Permits
For commercial fence permits, please call 972-547-7400 and ask to speak with a commercial plans examiner. The plans examiner will determine whether you need a fence permit or not.
A permit for any retaining wall is required in the City of McKinney, regardless of height. Retaining walls more than two feet in height require engineered plans. For questions about residential retaining walls, please email or call Marlene Johnson at 972-547-7446. For questions about commercial retaining walls, email or call or Jeff Harris at 972-547-7452.