Small Business Success Stories
The last few months have been hard for our local businesses. Yet in the face of this epidemic, they have astonished us with their innovation and amazed us with their creativity. We admire the resilience of our small business owners!
We want to highlight your business and your success story – and offer a chance to receive $1,000!
Twenty-one McKinney-based businesses will have the opportunity to share their pivots, twists and turns they experienced while trying to navigate the challenges of COVID-19.
|Twelve will receive a cash award of $1,000 each. Awards will be selected on criteria that scores innovation, creativity and resilience.|
|One superstar business will be crowned Lucky 13 and earn an additional $1,000.|
- July 13 - 31: Call for Applications
- August 6: Twenty-one Finalists Announced
- August 13: Live-streamed Presentations
Contest Terms & Conditions
NO PURCHASE IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE DOES NOT INCREASE THE CHANCES OF WINNING.
1. Eligibility: This Campaign is open only to those who own or run a business located in the city limits of the City of McKinney and submit an application online for the “Lucky 13 – Small Business Success Stories” between July 13, 2020 and July 31, 2020. Participants must be at least 18 years of age or older as of the date of entry. The Campaign is only open to legal residents of the United States, and is void where prohibited by law. Employees of the City of McKinney (the “City”), the McKinney Chamber of Commerce (the “McKinney Chamber”), the McKinney Community Development Corporation (“MCDC”), Visit McKinney, and Main Street McKinney, (collectively, the “Campaign Hosts”), their affiliates, and subsidiaries, (collectively the “Employees”); and immediate family members and/or those living in the same household of Employees are not eligible to participate in the Campaign. The Campaign is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. Void where prohibited.
2. Agreement to Rules: By participating, the Contestant (“You”) agree to be fully unconditionally bound by these Rules, and You represent and warrant that You meet the eligibility requirements. In addition, You agree to accept the decisions of the Campaign Hosts as final and binding as it relates to the content of this Campaign.
3. Campaign Period: Entries will be accepted online starting on July 13, 2020 12:00 a.m. CST and ending July 31, 2020 11:59 p.m. CST.
4. How to Enter: The Campaign must be entered by submitting an application at https://mckinneypac.wufoo.com/forms/lucky-13-small-business-success-stories/. The entry must fulfill said requirements to be eligible to win. Entries that are incomplete or do not adhere to the rules or specifications may be disqualified at the sole discretion of the Campaign Hosts.
5. Presentations: Out of the total applicants submitted for the Campaign, the Campaign Hosts will select twenty-one (21) applicants as Finalists who must make a virtual presentation on August 13, 2020, to a panel of judges selected by the Campaign Hosts (the “Judges”), describing how the Finalist has navigated the challenges of COVID-19. There shall be three rounds of presentations. At each round, seven Finalists will present and four will be chosen for a cash prize, as described in Section 6.
6. Prizes: The Judges will select twelve (12) Winners of the Campaign (the “Winners”), who will each receive a cash prize of One Thousand Dollars ($1,000). One such Winner will be eligible for an additional cash prize of One Thousand Dollars ($1,000) (the “Lucky 13 Winner”). The Winners and the Lucky 13 Winner must accept their prizes in person. The specifics of the prize shall be solely determined by the Campaign Hosts. No prize substitution shall be permitted except at the Campaign Hosts’ discretion. The prize is nontransferable. Any and all prize-related expenses, including without limitation any and all federal, state, and/or local taxes, shall be the sole responsibility of Winner. No substitution of prize or transfer/assignment of prize to others by Winner is permitted. Acceptance of prize constitutes permission for the Campaign Hosts to use Winner’s name, likeness, and entry for purposes of advertising and trade without further compensation, unless prohibited by law.
7. Winner Selection and Notification: The Winners and Grand Prize Winner shall be selected by the Judges, consisting of members of the Campaign Hosts. The Winners will be chosen at the end of each round of presentations based on criteria that scores innovation, creativity, and resilience. The Campaign Hosts shall have no liability for any Winner’s provision of incorrect or otherwise non-functioning contact information. If Winner cannot be contacted, is ineligible, fails to claim the prize within 30 days from the time award notification was sent, the prize may be forfeited and an alternate Winner selected. Receipt by Winner of the prize offered in this Campaign is conditioned upon compliance with any and all federal, state, and local laws and regulations. ANY VIOLATION OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES BY WINNER (AT CAMPAIGN HOSTS‘ SOLE DISCRETION) WILL RESULT IN WINNER’S DISQUALIFICATION AS WINNER OF THE CAMPAIGN, AND ALL PRIVILEGES AS WINNER WILL BE IMMEDIATELY TERMINATED.
8. Rights Granted by You: By entering this content, You understand and agree that the Campaign Hosts, anyone acting on behalf of the Campaign Hosts, and their licensees, successors, and assigns, shall have the right, where permitted by law, to print, publish, broadcast, distribute, and use in any media now known or hereafter developed, in perpetuity and throughout the World, without limitation, your entry, name, portrait, picture, voice, likeness, image, statements about the Campaign, and biographical information for news, publicity, information, trade, advertising, public relations, and promotional purposes. without any further compensation, notice, review, or consent.
9. Terms & Conditions: The Campaign Hosts reserve the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Campaign should virus, bug, non-authorized human intervention, fraud, or other cause beyond its control corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, or proper conduct of the Campaign. In such case, the Campaign Hosts may select the Winner from all eligible entries received prior to and/or after (if appropriate) the action taken by the Campaign Hosts. The Campaign Hosts reserve the right, in their sole discretion, to disqualify any individual who tampers or attempts to tamper with the entry process or the operation of the Campaign or website or violates these Terms & Conditions.
10. Limitation of Liability: By entering, You agree to release and hold harmless the Campaign Hosts and its subsidiaries, affiliates, advertising and promotion agencies, partners, representatives, agents, successors, assigns, employees, officers, and directors from any liability, illness, injury, death, loss, litigation, claim, or damage that may occur, directly or indirectly, whether caused by negligence or not, from: (i) such entrant’s participation in the Campaign and/or his/her acceptance, possession, use, or misuse of any prize or any portion thereof; (ii) technical failures of any kind, including but not limited to the malfunction of any computer, cable, network, hardware, or software, or other mechanical equipment; (iii) the unavailability or inaccessibility of any transmissions, telephone, or Internet service; (iv) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process or the Campaign; (v) electronic or human error in the administration of the Campaign or the processing of entries.
11. Disputes: THIS CAMPAIGN IS GOVERNED BY THE LAWS OF THE STATE OF TEXAS, WITHOUT RESPECT TO CONFLICT OF LAW DOCTRINES. As a condition of participating in this Campaign, participant agrees that any and all disputes that cannot be resolved between the parties, and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Campaign, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, exclusively before a court located in Collin County, Texas having jurisdiction. Further, in any such dispute, under no circumstances shall participant be permitted to obtain awards for, and hereby waives all rights to, punitive, incidental, or consequential damages, including reasonable attorney’s fees, other than participant’s actual out-of-pocket expenses (i.e. costs associated with entering this Campaign). Participant further waives all rights to have damages multiplied or increased.
13. Winners List: Any requests for the Winner’s name or a copy of these Official Rules shall be in compliance with the Texas Public Information Act.
14. Sponsor: The Sponsor of the Campaign is McKinney Main Street, 111 N. Tennessee St., McKinney, TX 75069.