The Special Event Application and permit fee are due at least 60 days before the event date.
After you submit the application, all internal city departments will review the application and respond to the Special Event Coordinator. At that time a review committee meeting date will be set between with the departments involved and the permit applicant; this meeting date is 30-45 days prior to the event.
Applications submitted before 60 days in advance of the event can be reviewed sooner than 30-45 days before the event if city staff is given enough lead time to review the application.
We will do our best to accommodate applicants in the timeline of when applications are received and when the event is to take place.
Events in City Parks or on a Hiking or Biking Trail
If your desired event or race is taking place in one of our city parks or on a hiking or biking trail, before submitting a special event permit application please call 972-547-9439 to check on park / trail availability.
Trail fees include a non-refundable application fee of $100 in addition to use fees and costs incurred by the city. The application fee must be submitted with the application and is required for each permit or renewal of a permit, which extends only to the dates requested in the application and approved by the City of McKinney Special Events Committee.
Use fees are as follows:
- 5K or shorter trail use fee - $500
- Longer than 5K and up to 10K trail use fee - $1,000
- Longer than 10K and up to half-marathon trail use fee - $1,500
- 5K preferred route fee - $2,200
- Triathlon preferred route fee - $3,250
Race or Run Events Involving Public Streets or Right-of-ways
If your desired race or run route will use public streets and/or right-of-ways, please contact the McKinney Police Department at 972-547-2796 before developing your course route and submitting your application.
Definition of a Special Event
From the City of McKinney Special Event Ordinance, Chapter 87.
Special event means a temporary event or gathering of 75 or more persons for a common purpose under the direction or control of a person or entity, including a special event parade, using either private or public property that involves one or more of the following activities, except when the activity is for construction or house-moving purposes only:
- Closing of a public street
- Blocking or restriction of public property, including public rights-of-way
- Sale of merchandise, food, or beverages on public property
- Sale of alcoholic beverages on public or private property where otherwise prohibited
- Erection of a tent or canopy on public property
- Installation of a stage, band shell, trailer, van, portable building, grandstand or bleachers on public property or on private property where otherwise prohibited by ordinance
- Placement of temporary informational signs including, but not limited to: no-parking, directional, identification or special event signs or banners in or over a public right-of-way or on private property where otherwise prohibited by ordinance
Special event parade means the assembly of 75 or more persons whose gathering is for the common design of traveling or marching in procession from one location to any other location for the purpose of advertising, promoting, celebrating or commemorating a thing, person, date or event.