The Special Event Application and permit fee are due at least 60 days prior to the event date.
Following application submittal, all internal city departments will review the application and respond to the Special Event Coordinator. At that time a review committee meeting date will be set between with the departments involved and the permit applicant; this meeting date is approximately 30-45 days prior to the event.
Applications submitted in advance of 60 days can have their applications reviewed sooner than 30–45 days prior to their event if city staff is given enough lead time to review the application.
The City of McKinney will do its best to accommodate applicants in the timeline of when applications are received and when the event is to take place.
Definition of a Special Event
From the City of McKinney Special Event Ordinance, Chapter 87.
Special event means a temporary event or gathering of 75 or more persons for a common purpose under the direction or control of a person or entity, including a special event parade, using either private or public property that involves one or more of the following activities, except when the activity is for construction or house-moving purposes only:
- Closing of a public street
- Blocking or restriction of public property, including public rights-of-way
- Sale of merchandise, food, or beverages on public property
- Sale of alcoholic beverages on public or private property where otherwise prohibited
- Erection of a tent or canopy on public property
- Installation of a stage, band shell, trailer, van, portable building, grandstand or bleachers on public property or on private property where otherwise prohibited by ordinance
- Placement of temporary informational signs including, but not limited to: no-parking, directional, identification or special event signs or banners in or over a public right-of-way or on private property where otherwise prohibited by ordinance