Friends of McKinney Libraries
Who Are the Friends?
The Friends of McKinney Libraries is a 501(c)(3) non-profit membership organization whose mission is to support the library system and enrich the community by providing cultural and life-long learning opportunities.
Programs Sponsored by the Friends
- Read Across McKinney - The Friends are instrumental in planning this community project in which a book is chosen for the community to read and discuss. Past events included an author visit, a luncheon, and a play at the McKinney Performing Arts Center.
- Financial support for library materials and programs
- Children’s Summer Reading Program support
- Cultural and literary programs for adults
- August 20, 2018: Nella Phillips presents My Lucky Life, by Dick Van Dyke. This is a lively, heartwarming memoir of a performer who still thinks of himself as a “simple song-and-dance man,” but who is, in every sense of the word, a classic entertainer.
- September 17, 2018: Gayle Brink presents True Grit, by Charles Portis. Told from the perspective of a woman named Mattie Ross, who recounts the time when she was 14 and sought retribution for the murder of her father by a scoundrel named Tom Chaney. True Grit is considered by critics to be one of the great American novels.
- October 15, 2018: Mary Booty presents "The Harmony Of The Bells," a joyous, enlightening program on Alexander Graham Bell and his wife Mabel. Highlighting the genius of Bell and his inventive spirit, the program also captures the loving and lighthearted relationship of “Alec” and Mabel through 45 years of marriage, including the glorious summers they spent at “Beinn Breaggh,” their gorgeous estate on Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia.
- December 17, 2018: Jackie Payne presents The Stories Behind the Greatest Hits of Christmas. You know these songs by heart. They’re the “greatest hits” of Christmas. But do you know the fascinating, inspirational stories behind them—who wrote them and how they came to be? Accompanying herself on the keyboard, professional reviewer Jackie Payne will get you in the mood to Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas!
All programs are free of charge, with refreshments provided.
What Do the Friends Do?
- As an Active Friend, you can support the library by volunteering to plan projects or events.
- Or you can choose to be a Silent Partner who supports the group with a membership payment. Your membership supplies the extra funds our library needs to continue to be a valuable asset to our community.
- You can also show your support by purchasing a Friends Book Bag for $10. These are available at the library circulation desks.
- You can also support the library by sponsoring a major library event.
How Do I Join?
It's easy! Just print and fill out the membership application. Applications with envelopes are also available at the circulation desks at both libraries. Mail the completed form to the address below with your dues payment or return it in person to either McKinney library. You can also join online through Network for Good. The minimum online donation is $10.
|Membership Level||Membership Dues|
|Lifetime Family Friend||$350|
Please make checks payable to, and mail to:
Friends of McKinney Libraries
101 E. Hunt St.
McKinney, TX 75069
Network for Good is the charity that processes your online donation and supports the convenience of online giving to the Friends. It relies on at least 5% added to each donation to ensure 100% of your donation is passed on to the Friends of McKinney Libraries.
Questions? Contact us at email@example.com