Library Programs for Adults
Programs for adults at the McKinney libraries offer opportunities for interaction, discovery and learning.
Spring 2017 Adult Computer Classes at the Roy & Helen Hall Memorial Library
- January 25, 7-8:15 p.m. - Basic Computer Skills with Atomic Training: Introduction to basic computer terminology and navigation using basic keyboarding and mouse skills.
- February 22, 7-8:15 p.m. - Basic Email and Internet Skills with Atomic Training: Introduction to web navigation and web-based email programs.
- March 22, 7-8:15 p.m. - Computer Tips and Tricks with Atomic Training: Learn tips and tricks including keyboard shortcuts, managing multiple windows, right click commands and more.
- April 12, 7-8:15 p.m. - Basic Word Workshop with Atomic Training: Introduction to the word processing program by Microsoft Word to compose, edit and save documents.
- April 26, 7-8:15 p.m. - Resources at the McKinney Public Library: Learn how to navigate the Library’s website, catalog, databases and other electronic resources
Spring 2017 Adult Programs at the John & Judy Gay Library
Dates and times subject to change. Seating is limited. For details and reservations, please see the events calendar, or use the event links at the bottom of this page.
Basic Computer Skills
Want to increase your comfort level on a desktop computer? These classes will help you master the basics.
- Library Catalog / Databases / Electronic Resources: Wednesday, January 18, 7-8:30 p.m.
- Basic Navigation Skills, Internet and Email: Wednesday, February 8, 7-8:30 p.m.
- Introduction to Word: Wednesday, March 8, 7-8:30 p.m.
- Introduction to Excel: Wednesday, April 5, 7-8:30 p.m.
eBooks, Audio eBooks, and Mobile Devices
Learn more about the library’s eContent offerings, and get individual help with smartphones and tablets.
- 7-8:30 p.m.
- Second and fourth Tuesdays of the month
Adult Yarn-Crafters Club
Relax, express your creativity and meet others with similar interests. Bring your own knitting, crochet and needlepoint materials. Some materials will be available for specially designated charity projects; however, personal projects are welcome. This is an informal group for adults of all abilities.
- 7-8:30 p.m.
- First and third Mondays of the month, beginning February 6
Astronomy Series: Your New Telescope
Learn the basics of using a telescope, including setup and finding objects of interest in the sky. Tips on choosing a new telescope and making skywatching fun! Program does not have an outdoor component.
- Monday, March 27, 7-8 p.m.
Astronomy Series: It's a Big Universe
Slideshow presentation that takes you on a journey from Earth, through the solar system, to the deepest reaches of the universe. Discussion of ground-based telescopes, space probes and the Hubble space telescope.
- Monday, April 24, 7-8 p.m.