About Main Street
What is Main Street?
Main Street is a national program born out of the National Trust for Historic Preservation. Since 1980, the National Main Street Center has been working with communities across the nation to revitalize historic commercial areas. Based on historic preservation, the Main Street approach was developed to save historic commercial architecture, but has become a powerful economic development tool as well.
The Main Street program is designed to improve all aspects of downtown, producing both tangible and intangible benefits. Improving economic management, strengthening public participation and marketing downtown as a fun place to visit is as critical to Main Street's future as recruiting new businesses and rehabilitating buildings. Building on downtown's inherent assets - rich architecture, personal service, traditional values and most of all, a sense of place - the Main Street approach supports entrepreneurship, downtown cooperation and civic concern.
The Main Street program has earned national recognition as a practical strategy appropriately scaled to local resources and conditions. And because it is a locally-driven program, all initiatives stem from local issues and concerns.
McKinney Main Street Vision Statement
McKinney's vibrant downtown will offer retail, office, arts, entertainment, residential, restaurant and leisure opportunities for McKinney's residents and visitors from the region and beyond to promote business, heritage, tourism and community identity.
McKinney Main Street Mission Statement
Our mission is to maintain and enhance a vibrant downtown area through economic redevelopment, design, organization and promotion as part of McKinney's Main Street Program.
McKinney Main Street Core Values
To Preserve Our Historical Assets
- Protect traditional, historic feel of Downtown McKinney
- Safeguard our historical properties
To Be the Heart of Our Community
- Offer a safe, family-friendly environment for those who live, work, recreate and visit Downtown McKinney
- Support community gatherings
To Support a 'Uniquely McKinney' Experience
- Honor economic, historical and cultural fundamentals
- Embrace cultural diversity and balance of hip and historic
- Harness unique experience to create economic development
To Promote Historic Downtown McKinney as a Destination
- Share Downtown McKinney's shopping, dining and recreational options
- Embrace opportunities to communicate our mission, passion and purpose
- Attract and bring visitors from within and outside of McKinney to Downtown
To Encourage Continuous Economic Development
- Support managed and smart growth
- Advocate opportunities that enhance revenue for businesses and City
- Monitor downtown's accessibility and parking needs
- Champion self-sustainability
The Main Street Staff
Often property owners, merchants and sponsors anticipate Main Street staff devoting the majority of their time and resources to event planning. In the Main Street approach, events and festivals are only a limited way to influence economic development. Because of this, the staff's charge is actually much broader and includes advancing efforts that effect:
- Economic Vitality
Main Street Constituents
The Main Street staff answers to many supervisors and constituency groups. Primarily, the McKinney Main Street Board, the City of McKinney and the Texas Historical Commission oversee the development of Main Street's annual work plan and review the level of success in achieving priority objectives.
Additionally, the Main Street Board and staff work among several other constituency groups that have similar goals. These include the downtown and east side property owners and merchants, and east side residents.