Prominent McKinney banker W.B. Newsome constructed this building to house the law offices of William Roberts Abernathy. The Abernathy family has practiced law in McKinney since 1876. William M. Abernathy, the father of William Roberts, was a member of the Seventeenth Regiment, Barksdale Brigade, Longstreet’s Corps, Army of Northern Virginia. He was wounded in the Battle of Gettysburg and served as a courier to Robert E. Lee. He may well have carried the last dispatch from Lee to Grant concerning the details of surrender at Appomattox. Later, this building became home of the electric company in McKinney, and today it is the home of Spoons Café.
The building is a two-part, commercial brick building which is a common style of building that was constructed during the early part of the 20th century.