Recycling in McKinney
The City of McKinney offers an automated recycling collection system that uses a blue 65-gallon recycling cart. Recycling collection is on the same day as your trash collection. Be sure to place your recycling cart approximately three feet from your trash cart.
Christmas Tree Recycling
The City Will Pick It Up - Revisit for 2019-2020 Dates.
Let the City of McKinney compost your Christmas tree. Waste Connections will pick up at your location. (Not available for commercial locations). Please remove lights and ornaments from the tree. Trees with flocking will not be picked up.
- Homes - place the tree next to your trash bin on your regularly scheduled trash day.
- Apartments - place the tree on the outside of the trash container enclosure in your complex.
- For questions about Christmas tree recycling, please call Waste Connections at 469-452-8000.
Drop-Off Locations - Revisit for 2019-2020 Dates.
McKinney provides locations where residents can drop Christmas trees for recycling. Trees must be clean and free of decorations, lights and flocking. Look for the signs at these locations:
- Al Ruschhaupt Soccer fields on Park View Ave.
- Water Tower on Alma Rd. south of Eldorado near Gabe Nesbitt Park
You can also compost your natural poinsettias, pine garland and wreaths placing them in brown compost bags next to your trash bin on your regularly scheduled trash day.
- Remove poinsettia plants from pot / container. (You can dump plant and soil in bag.)
- Remove lights and ornaments from wreaths and garlands
Trees and other materials are taken to the Regional Composting Facility in Plano and converted into a variety of compost products. See the composting tab on this page for more information. For questions, call Solid Waste Services at 972-547-7385.
City Composting Partnership
The yard waste (grass, leaves and branches) collected by Waste Connections from residents in the city of McKinney is taken to the Regional Composting facility in Plano. The Plano facility is also shared with the cities of Richardson, Allen and Frisco.
The Regional Composting Facility produces compost, top dressing, soil blend and mulch. The products are marketed as Texas Pure. Texas Pure certifies its products by participating in the United States Composting Council Seal of Testing Assurance program, which requires ongoing testing, disclosure of test data and providing education information to customers.
Texas Pure Compost
Texas Pure compost, topdressing, mulch and soil blend products have developed solid reputations as high-quality yard and garden products. Each year, an increasing number of residents, businesses and municipalities take advantage of the Texas Pure products.
Curbside Electronics Collection Program
Curbside electronics collection is for home use computers, computer components and electronic components that may be connected to a computer including fax machines, printers, scanners, mice, speakers, keyboards and other computer peripherals, televisions*, VCRs, etc.
E-waste pickup is only available for residents who live within the McKinney city limits.
Electronics are picked up by appointment only. Contact Solid Waste Services at 972-547-7385 or order a pickup online at least 24 to 48 business hours before your regular residential trash / recycling collection day to make an appointment. After-hours messages will be processed on the next business day in the order they were received.
- Place electronics curbside by 7 a.m. on your scheduled appointment day. Place smaller components in a cardboard box labeled HHW and locate at least four feet from your residential trash / recycling receptacles.
- City staff will only collect and transport approved items on the assigned day.
- Limited to two boxes no larger than 20 inches long by 20 inches wide by 20 inches high per pickup
- Limited to 50 pounds per box except for televisions.
- Excessive quantities are considered commercial waste and will not be accepted.
- Limited to one television per pickup.
Note: The city reserves the right to deny the collection of certain materials and/or substances, and is not responsible for spills that may occur prior to a city staff member’s arrival to collect electronics.
You can also recycle directly with the manufacturer of your computer or television and related equipment. See the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality website for more information.
- Monday through Friday - 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Saturday – 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.
2138 Country Ln.
- Aluminum cans
- Steel cans
- Tin cans
- Plastics #1, #2, #3, #4, #5 and #7
- All mixed paper
- Household Trash
- Hazardous Waste (including paint, household chemicals, batteries and light bulbs)
- Grocery Bags
- Aluminum Foil
- Garden Hoses
- Yard waste / brush
The City of McKinney will pick up yard debris for recycling. Here's what to do :
- Bag your grass clippings, leaves and other lawn trimmings in paper biodegradable lawn bags (available at area retailers)
- Cut tree trimmings into four-foot lengths, bundle and tie in bundles less than 50 pounds.
- Place bags and bundles three feet away from your cart on your regular collection day.
- Limited to an amount that two men can load in five minutes.
For more information, contact Waste Connections at 469-452-8000