Units from the McKinney Fire Department (MFD) and its’ investigators were called to an apartment building at 6150 Alma Rd. on Tuesday for a water flow alarm. A kitchen fire had broken out in a second floor unit. Fortunately, the fire had already been extinguished by the apartment’s Fire Sprinkler System.
The cause of the fire was determined to be a stove burner that the occupant had left on, which caused a plastic bowl to ignite.
“Never leave cooking food unattended and double-check that stoves and ovens have been turned off,” said McKinney Fire Marshal Michael Smith. “This case shows how sprinklers save lives and property – avoiding millions in damage and repair costs.”
Find more safety information on the Fire Department website or the National Fire Protection Association website.
McKinney, Texas, is unique by nature. As one of the fastest growing cities in America, McKinney has a current population of 180,000. The city was #1 on the list of Best Places to Live in America in 2014, published by Money Magazine. Established in 1848, the city is located 30 miles north of Dallas and is the county seat of Collin County. McKinney offers award-winning schools, a vibrant historic downtown, diverse housing options, a robust economy and a uniquely beautiful natural setting, with rolling hills and lush trees.