News Flash

Fire News Releases

Posted on: April 13, 2018

Fire sprinkler stops dryer fire from spreading

Dryer fire

The McKinney Fire Department (MFD) responded to a report of fire in the laundry area of an apartment at the Rustic of McKinney at 2700 Northbrook Dr. this morning.

A resident had turned on their dryer, heard a loud noise and then saw sparks and flames coming from behind the dryer. The sparks activated an overhead sprinkler which put out the fire. The fire happened in a dryer vent duct that had not been cleaned for at least two years. The duct was also longer than needed between the dryer and the wall connection.

Facts about home clothes dryer fires from the U.S. Fire Administration

  • 2,900 home clothes dryer fires are reported each year and cause an estimated five deaths, 100 injuries, and $35 million in property loss.
  • Failure to clean the dryer (34 percent) is the leading cause of home clothes dryer fires.
  • More home clothes dryer fires occur in the fall and winter months, peaking in January.

“Cleaning the dryer vent is an often overlooked safety hazard,” said Deputy Fire Marshal Andrew Barr. “Taking just a few minutes to clean it this weekend will protect your family and home for years.”

More safety information can be located on the McKinney Fire Department website or the National Fire Protection Association website.