The McKinney Fire Department (MFD) responded to a fire call at 204 Mozart Way in the afternoon of Tuesday, Nov. 14th. The resident was cooking and put the hot pan of grease into water, causing the fire to erupt. The fire sprinkler activated, putting out the flames before firefighters arrived. Fortunately, no one was injured.
“Water and oil don’t mix. In fact, putting the pan of hot grease into water can cause a fireball,” said McKinney Fire Marshal Mike Smith.
If you do have a grease fire:
- Turn off the source of heat.
- Do NOT pour water on it.
- Cover the pot with a baking pan to smother the flames.
- If you can’t cover it, dump baking soda on it.
- Do not attempt to pick up the burning pan.
Fact: Cooking fires account for more than half of all residential fires.
Find more safety information on the Fire Department website or on the National Fire Protection website.
McKinney, Texas, is unique by nature. As one of the fastest growing cities in America, McKinney has a current population of 180,000. The city was #1 on the list of Best Places to Live in America in 2014, published by Money Magazine. Established in 1848, the city is located 30 miles north of Dallas and is the county seat of Collin County. McKinney offers award-winning schools, a vibrant historic downtown, diverse housing options, a robust economy and a uniquely beautiful natural setting, with rolling hills and lush trees.