The McKinney Fire Department responded to a call on Saturday, January 19 about an appliance fire at the Post Oak apartments. Units arrived and found light smoke and a single fire sprinkler head that had activated in the apartment. Thanks to the sprinkler system, the damage was limited.
The occupant told firefighters that she was heating oil on the stove when it ignited. She tried to put the fire out, but it flared up and the sprinkler head activated. Everyone got out of the apartment safely.
If you have a grease fire:
- Never use water to put out a grease fire.
- Use a lid or pan to cover and smother the fire.
- Turn off the heat.
- Don’t try to move the pan until it is completely cool.
“Grease fires can get out of hand in seconds,” said McKinney Fire Marshal Mike Smith. “That is why it is so important to have a fire sprinkler system in place. It is like having a firefighter in your home.”
Fact: Cooking fires account for more than half of all residential fires. Take precautions.
Find more safety information on the Fire Department website or on the National Fire Protection website.
McKinney, Texas, is unique by nature. As one of the fastest growing cities in America, McKinney has a current population of 180,000. The city was #1 on the list of Best Places to Live in America in 2014, published by Money Magazine. Established in 1848, the city is located 30 miles north of Dallas and is the county seat of Collin County. McKinney offers award-winning schools, a vibrant historic downtown, diverse housing options, a robust economy and a uniquely beautiful natural setting, with rolling hills and lush trees.