The City of McKinney’s historic downtown has once again been designated as an accredited Main Street America program for meeting rigorous performance standards set by the National Main Street Center. This is the 15th time McKinney Main Street has been recognized nationally for their exemplary commitment to preservation-based economic development and community revitalization.
Accreditation signifies commitment to comprehensive revitalization, community engagement and rigorous outcome measurement. McKinney Main Street demonstrated that the program was fostering strong public-private partnerships, securing an operating budget, tracking programmatic progress and actively preserving historic buildings.
In 2018, 330 housing units were added, 13 new businesses located, relocated or expanded to downtown McKinney, 44 jobs were created and more than $23 million reinvestment dollars were added in public and private development.
“For the past 15 years, this national accreditation has recognized the McKinney Main Street staff and volunteers' dedicated efforts to preserve Downtown McKinney’s charm and special sense of place while also spurring economic development. The most recent examples are the Texas Cultural District designation and completed Davis at the Square mixed-use development which are attracting residential growth and providing tourists from all over the country more reasons to visit,” said Main Street Program Director Amy Rosenthal.
Significant happenings in 2018 for McKinney Main Street include:
- The completion Davis at the Square, the nine-acre mixed-use development at the southwest corner of Davis Street and McDonald Street.
- The relocation and completion of the 53,000-square-foot Playful Corporation Headquarters at Davis at the Square.
- Two public parking garages opened bringing the total number of downtown parking spaces to over 1,500
- Historic Downtown McKinney was designated as a Texas Cultural District.
- Wireless speakers were installed throughout the district adding to the ambiance.
- LED lights were added to the historic water tower.
- Record attendance numbers for downtown signature event Oktoberfest.
Learn more about McKinney Main Street.