Due to McKinney’s rapid growth into areas that once were rural, residents often encounter local wildlife. Some of the animals that may be encountered include: opossums, raccoons, skunks, snakes, foxes, bobcats, bats, squirrels and armadillos. Although most wild animals pose no threat to humans if left alone, there are steps you can take to protect your pets from harm:
- Secure pets indoors at night
- Supervise pets at all times
- Do not leave pet food, water or food storage areas easily accessible
- Do not put trash out until the day of pick up
- Refrain from walking pets during nighttime or early morning hours
For more information on wildlife in Texas please visit the Texas Parks and Wildlife website.