When is a Certificate of Appropriateness needed?

All proposed changes to the exterior of your property require consideration by the Historic Preservation Office. Some examples of changes that are subject to city regulations include:

  • Replacing windows, siding, and exterior doors
  • Removing historic architectural trims or masonry
  • Adding or removing shutters, porches, railings, chimneys, fencing, and signage

Maintenance of your property is not restricted if it does not involve changes to the structure, materials, or features. It is recommended that you consult the Historic Preservation Office to make sure your plans are considered general maintenance and that you are using the best methods to preserve your building.

The Historic Preservation Office does not monitor interior changes or alterations, but encourages property owners to maintain interior historic features. Maintaining historic interiors enhances the historic value of the house.

Show All Answers

1. What is a Certificate of Appropriateness?
2. Is there a fee for a Certificate of Appropriateness?
3. Why is a Certificate of Appropriateness needed?
4. When is a Certificate of Appropriateness needed?
5. How do I obtain a Certificate of Appropriateness?
6. What needs to be included when submitting a Certificate of Appropriateness?
7. What happens to my application after it is submitted?
8. May I paint my house any color I want?
9. Do I need permission to perform ordinary maintenance?
10. Does every change to my property require a Certificate of Appropriateness?
11. May I put an addition on my historic property?
12. Where can I receive help designing an addition for my house?
13. Are there economic incentives for improving property in the historic district?
14. How do I submit photos if the CSS Portal won't let me upload them?
15. If I have more questions, whom should I contact?