How do I obtain a Certificate of Appropriateness?

The Certificate of Appropriateness (COA) information packet and application signature form are available on the Historic Preservation Resources webpage. COAs must be applied for via the Customer Self-Service portal on the McKinney Development Portal.  The City’s Historic Preservation Office will determine if a COA is required for your proposed changes. Once submitted, the Historic Preservation Officer will review your application and answer any questions.

Show All Answers

1. What is a Certificate of Appropriateness?
2. Is there a fee for a Certificate of Appropriateness?
3. Why is a Certificate of Appropriateness needed?
4. When is a Certificate of Appropriateness needed?
5. How do I obtain a Certificate of Appropriateness?
6. What needs to be included when submitting a Certificate of Appropriateness?
7. What happens to my application after it is submitted?
8. May I paint my house any color I want?
9. Do I need permission to perform ordinary maintenance?
10. Does every change to my property require a Certificate of Appropriateness?
11. May I put an addition on my historic property?
12. Where can I receive help designing an addition for my house?
13. Are there economic incentives for improving property in the historic district?
14. How do I submit photos if the CSS Portal won't let me upload them?
15. If I have more questions, whom should I contact?