A completed application will include the Certificate of Appropriateness (COA) application and sufficient documentation which describes the project in detail. All COA applications are submitted via the Customer Self-Service portal. If you want or need to provide samples of new materials, please contact the Historic Preservation Office.
Include the following items per type of request:
Additions or Alterations to Existing Buildings
- Site or plot plans, including dimensions of lot and footprint of proposed construction.
- Elevation drawings and dimensions of all façades including signs, decks, fences and gates
- Types of building materials listed
- Photographs of existing conditions. The submitted drawings and written descriptions should explain how the project involves any of the following building elements if applicable:
- Vents, grates, grills
- Porches, steps
- Doorways, doors, windows (description of windows if not the same as in the drawings)
- Decorative details
- Plot or site plans, including dimensions
- Elevation drawings and dimensions of all façades including signs, decks, garages, fences and gates
- Type of building materials such as wood doors, style and type of windows, type of siding, etc.
- Color of materials
- Photographs of existing conditions
- A scaled drawing showing the type and size of the lettering
- All colors to be used and description of materials
- A plan showing the location of the sign / lettering on the building or site
- An explanation of the method of illumination, if applicable
- Description of attachment style to building