Does every change to my property require a Certificate of Appropriateness?

All proposed changes to the exterior of your property require consideration by the Historic Preservation Office and are regulated by the City’s Unified Development Code, which uses the Secretary of the Interior's Standards for Rehabilitation of Historic Properties. These Standards are used to determine the appropriateness of treatments for historic homes. Some examples of changes that are subject to city regulations include:

  • Replacing windows, siding, and exterior doors
  • Removing historic architectural trims or masonry
  • Adding or removing shutters, porches, railings, chimneys, fencing, and signage

 Maintenance of your property is not restricted if it does not involve changes to the structure, materials, or features. It is recommended that you consult the Historic Preservation Office prior to beginning work to make sure your plans are considered general maintenance and that you are using the best methods to preserve your building.

Show All Answers

1. What is a Certificate of Appropriateness?
2. Is there a fee for a Certificate of Appropriateness?
3. Why is a Certificate of Appropriateness needed?
4. When is a Certificate of Appropriateness needed?
5. How do I obtain a Certificate of Appropriateness?
6. What needs to be included when submitting a Certificate of Appropriateness?
7. What happens to my application after it is submitted?
8. May I paint my house any color I want?
9. Do I need permission to perform ordinary maintenance?
10. Does every change to my property require a Certificate of Appropriateness?
11. May I put an addition on my historic property?
12. Where can I receive help designing an addition for my house?
13. Are there economic incentives for improving property in the historic district?
14. How do I submit photos if the CSS Portal won't let me upload them?
15. If I have more questions, whom should I contact?