I want to dig in my yard. What do I need to do?
  • If digging more than 6 inches, you will need to contact Building Inspections at 972-547-7400 to see if any permits are necessary.
  • You should also always call the national "Call Before You Dig 1-800-DIGTESS" hotline whenever digging more than 16 inches deep. State law requires having underground lines located before digging 16 inches or deeper.

    It is necessary to contact 1-800-DIGTESS or Texas 811 at least 48 hours in advance of digging to request that service wires and lines be located. Digging without calling can lead to severe consequences including harm to those who dig, costly damages to underground infrastructure and utility service disruptions. For more information about Texas 811, visit Call811.com.

Show All Answers

1. Where can I get a copy of construction plans and record drawings for existing water and sanitary sewer systems?
2. When will the city extend water and sanitary sewer service to my property?
3. Where can I get a copy of the Utility Design Manual?
4. How can I find the sewer cleanout for my service line?
5. Where can I get answers to issues related to power companies and their electric systems?
6. I want to dig in my yard. What do I need to do?
7. What is the process to switch my sewer service from a septic tank to the city sanitary sewer line?
8. How are design engineers and materials testing firms selected for city projects?
9. How are general contractors selected for city projects?