Does every change to my property require a Certificate of Appropriateness?

All proposed changes to the exterior of your property require consideration by the Historic Preservation Office. Some examples of changes that are subject to city regulations include:

  • Replacing windows, siding, and exterior doors
  • Removing historic architectural trims or masonry
  • Adding or removing shutters, porches, railings, chimneys, fencing, and signage

Maintenance of your property is not restricted if it does not involve changes to the structure, materials, or features. It is recommended that you consult the Historic Preservation Office to make sure your plans are considered general maintenance and that you are using the best methods to preserve your building.

The Historic Preservation Office does not monitor interior changes or alterations but encourages property owners to maintain interior historic features. Maintaining historic interiors enhances the historic value of the house.

View FAQ for Certificate of Appropriateness

Show All Answers

1. Does every change to my property require a Certificate of Appropriateness?
2. Is my property designated or contributing?
3. What does it mean to be designated or contributing?
4. May I paint my house any color I want?
5. May I install a fence on my historic property?
6. Can I install solar panels on my historic home?
7. Do I need permission to perform ordinary maintenance to my house or building?
8. Where can I receive help designing an addition for my house?
9. Is there a requirement that I must restore my property located within the Historic District?
10. How do I research the history of my property?
11. Can the city help me purchase a historic property?
12. How do I submit photos if the CSS Portal won't let me upload them?
13. Who can I call to ask questions about the Historic District, the Certificate of Appropriateness, or what work I can do to my home in the Historic District?