There is currently no vaccine to prevent COVID-19, so the best way to protect yourself from illness is to avoid being exposed to the virus. Everyday preventative actions can help mitigate the spread of respiratory viruses including:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces such as counters, tabletops, doorknobs, bathroom fixtures, toilets, phones, keyboards, tablets, etc. daily using regular household cleaning sprays or wipes according to the label instructions.
- Wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
- If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
- Always wash hands with soap and water if hands are visibly dirty.
- Community-based interventions such as social distancing and creating employee plans to work remotely can help slow the spread of COVID-19.